Thursday, September 10, 2009

Writing from the Darkness

I was sitting my sofa reading "Writing From the Darkness" and I was overcome by many emotions. I felt so sad for the author because of her tormented childhood and how she had to break through her own insecurities and doubts to become whole again. I was angry with her family for trying to bend her into what they wanted her to be, instead of embracing who she was.

As a parent I know that it isn't always easy to make the right decisions. We are human, however stifling a childs spirit can never help them grow. I was also moved by how in some ways, writing trapped her, as well as saving her and then eventually freeing her. The therapuetic effect that writing had on her life was mindblowing.

I have always struggled with writing, so looking at it through the author's eyes, as a means to self evaluation and self improvement is a perspective that I never really entertained.

I was also suprised that she didn't look at her poetry as a true reflection of herself. I always thought that poetry was a reflectin of the authors soul, so to hear that this was not how she felt was eye-opening.

I enjoyed this piece for it's descriptiveness and detail. Although I must admit, at times I was wondering if the artistic use of language and description, left me with an alternative understanding of what the author was trying to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment