Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Hearth and the Salamander

I had to make myself put this book down. I knew that if I kept reading I wouldn't stop until I completed the entire thing. When I first started reading, I wasn't sure that I was going to like this book. It was full of so much imagery that I was on sensory overload. I had a hard time staying focused on the story itself, but after rereading a few passages I was able to see this futuristic world.

I immediately fell in love with Clarisse. In a very short time she pulled Guy back from the edge of the abys that he didn't even know he was teetering on. I was extremely sad when Mildred announced her death. I thought that she would help guy with this journey, but I guess I will have to wait and see who takes over that role.

Even though this futuristic world is supposed to be fun, the restriction of free thought has made people forget how to think and to feel.

I was also intrigued by captain Beatty's description of how the world came to be as it is now and how "Firemen" evolved in to the firestarters that they have become. His knowledge of history, even though noone else remembers is a little odd. It makes me wonder id he is reading as well. I guess we will find out.

I am going to fight the urge to finish the rest of this book this weekend so that I can discuss the first chapter without knowing what is coming. I will try my best.

2 comments:

  1. Steph, I completely agree! When I first started reading the hearth and the salamander I felt lost and overwhelmed with all the imagery. I wondered whether I would even be able to comprehend the book let alone enjoy it. Thankfully, it became easier for me to follow and I really enjoyed reading it. It's funny because I too didn't want to stop reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Stephanie(s)!

    Stephanie, I appreciate the metaphorical way in which you talk about Clarisse. Although she in in the novel for such a short time, what she does for Guy liberates him and sets the motions going forward for the rest of the novel.

    Beatty's passage and monologue to Guy may be one of my favorite passages from the whole novel. Beatty is such a polarizing figure for some of the reasons you listed as well as his treatment of Montag. He will certainly be a integral part of our discussion today, and I certainly hope you bring your theorizing to it!

    ReplyDelete