Tuesday, September 1, 2009

What Should Colleges Teach

I found it very interesting that Stanley Fish chose to use findings from the American Council of Trustees and Alumni (ACTA) to support his argument that writing classes should only teach writing. The ACTA seems to be an organization who's ideas bear little, if no resemblence to those of Stanley Fish. It seems a bit unrealistic that he would find value in this organization. Even as it applies to a point that he is trying to prove valuable.

I found myself unable to buy into his argument that there is only one way to teach writing. Although I believe in strong fundamentals for good writing, I also believe that people's minds are incredibly complex and diverse. Therefore, I follow the school of thought that rejoices in the journey that can lead us in many different directions and invariably get us to the same destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment